Tuesday, June 15, 2010

faith


I just started a great local book that I'll tell you all about when I am done reading it. It's called "Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs," by Haines author Heather Lende. She references a lot of traditional prayers in the book, including one I have always loved.

"Dear God, have mercy on me. The sea is so wide and my boat is so small." It's a fisherman's prayer of course, but it fits for all of us. Our lives are so wide. Some days are easy and the wind isn't blowing and some days are a storm. Either way, it's nice to have faith that God (whatever we perceive God to be), will take mercy on us in some manner as we all try to stay afloat.

I think sometimes about the faith that dogs have, that they must have - in us. Faith that we will keep them safe, faith that we will treat them well and meet their needs and I wonder if this is related to the general happy state of dogs who are given reason to have faith that we will do the right thing for them. A bit of faith is a good thing for all of us I suppose. It certainly helps to weather the storm.

3 comments:

  1. that's a great quote, jorden! i also liked her book "if you lived here i'd know your name." another super fun book i've read which you might like is called "pomegranate soup" about some persian sisters who are refugees in ireland. if you're interested let me know & i'll mail it up to you! it's a good summer read and has lots of tasty persian recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't read that one, but I might read it after I am done with this one! I am always looking for good reads, if you really feel like mailing a book this way, that would be great! Thanks, Shireen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jorden, can you email me your mailing address: shireentaintor@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete