Friday, August 21, 2009

A Word on Food

Tonight, as my family gets ready to cook a Julia Child Braised Salmon recipe, I find myself pondering all the delicious things I love to eat. Here is a great pup recipe I eat for dinner a lot that you might want to try out too.


Ingredients:

2 free range and or organic chicken breasts
2 small organic sweet potatoes
1 handful chopped organic chard leaves, about a cup or so
1 cup organic quinoa
2 tablespoons or so of chopped fresh organic parsley

Chop the sweet potatoes into small bite size bits (for me that is really small, but if you're a bigger dog, bigger is fine). Saute in olive oil. Let cook, stirring regularly until the bits just start to get tender. Take the chicken breasts and set them right on top of the potatoes, cover and let cook, stirring the potatoes from time to time to keep them from burning (you should have your burner set to medium heat). As the chicken gets cooked, break it up in the pan, add the chopped chard. Keep covered and let everything keep cooking until done.

Separately, cook the quinoa according to directions. Mix in quinoa with finished chicken and veggies, sprinkle entire thing with the chopped parsley (great for pup breath). Make sure it's all chopped up into tiny bits if you have a pup like me who eats as fast as possible (tricks for how to deal with that later) and sometimes chokes on her food...

Let thoroughly cool and you have a delicious dinner for many nights to come!

**You can substitute really any veggies for the chard. You can also use brown rice instead of quinoa if it's what you have in your cupboard. I have a tendency to get a lil' porky (or at least that's what my family says) so my mom uses quinoa because it is high in protein and lower in carbs. Sometimes she uses old fish from the freezer - we do live in Alaska after all - I REALLY like that - it is a super treat.

That's it for now, off to hang out in the kitchen and see if anything wonderful falls in front of my mouth! I do love Julia and salmon!

No comments:

Post a Comment